Forget all the powdered puddings and shop-bought flans, this is quick, easy, delicious and 100% natural!
I bought these fabulous eggs from our neighbour today. They were just asking to be turned into something yum.
It had to be Crème Caramel…
What you need for the caramel:
2 tablespoons of water
a few drops of lemon juice (optional)
What you need for the cream:
500ml milk (full-fat or half-fat)
200ml liquid cream
100g sugar (raw or refined)
2 little bags of vanilla sugar (or 1 vanilla pod)
1 pinch of salt
Start by pre-heating the oven to 180°C.
Make the caramel:
- Heat the sugar and water in a little pan.
- When the sugar turns golden, put in a few drops of lemon juice (optional).
- Be careful not to let it burn.
- Pour the hot caramel into about 8 small ovenproof dishes immediately.
Make the cream:
- In a large pan, heat the milk and cream and bring to the boil.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl with a whisk.
- Pour the hot milk/cream mixture into the egg mixture while stirring briskly.
- Pour the cream into the ovenproof dishes on top of the caramel.
If you are using a vanilla pod, put it in the milk from the beginning (sliced open lengthways, scrape out the little seeds and drop everything in the milk).
Stand your little dishes into a larger one and fill the space between them with water (from the kettle, or not). It should be deep enough for the water to rise at least 3/4 up the sides of the small dishes. The idea of this bain-marie is that the steam from the water fills the oven and stops the cream from cracking and lets it thicken gently.
Put everything in the oven for 35-45 minutes. (Be careful that the cream doesn’t boil! It’s OK for the water to simmer, though.)
Take out of the oven and let cool completely before refrigerating. (If I have time, I let them cool off in the dish with the water. If not, I take them out and put them on an oven rack to cool.)
Here’s the short version:
- Make the caramel
- Heat the liquids
- Mix with the solids
- Pour into the dishes
- Stick in the oven
- Let cool